Chair of Trustees
We wish to recruit a Chairperson (unpaid position) to our Board of Trustees for our registered charity Bridewell Organic Gardens (working name ‘Bridewell Gardens’).
Key Responsibilities of the Chair:
- To ensure that Bridewell Gardens operates within its charitable objectives.
- To work with the General Manager of Bridewell Gardens to provide support and supervision whilst respecting the boundaries that exists between the two roles and to conduct an annual appraisal.
- To provide leadership to the charity and the Board of up to 11 Trustees to ensure that Bridewell Gardens has maximum impact for its beneficiaries.
- To ensure that Trustees fulfil their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of Bridewell Gardens and to provide a clear strategic direction.
- To plan and chair Trustee meetings effectively and efficiently, bringing impartiality and objectivity to the decision-making process. Board meetings are generally held 4 times a year with additional meetings as and when necessary.
- To ensure that all Trustees are fully engaged and that decisions are taken in the best long-term interests of Bridewell Gardens and that the Board takes collective ownership.
- Ensure that the Board reviews major risks and opportunities in order to manage and mitigate the risks and to take advantage of opportunities.
- Ensure that the Board fulfils its duties to ensure sound financial health of the charity, with systems in place to ensure financial accountability.
- To represent Bridewell Gardens at appropriate external meetings, functions and events.
Qualities and skills of a Chair
We are looking for a person who has:
- An understanding of the impact of mental illness on peoples’ lives
- Knowledge of the voluntary sector and experience of trustee work
- A commitment to Bridewell Garden’s work, the values of the organisation and its objectives
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of being the Chair
- Integrity and good, independent judgement
- Knowledge of charity finance and fundraising
- The ability to think creatively and to work effectively as a member of a team
- Commitment to maintain appropriate confidentiality and the principles of equal opportunities
- This position requires availability for regular meetings with the General Manager and for a minimum of 4 early evening board meetings each year in Witney.
- DBS checks required
- 2 references to be taken up
- Must not be disqualified to serve as Charity Trustee under Section 72 of the Charities Act 1993.
Key facts about Bridewell Gardens
- Supports an average of 70 different individuals over a year
- Employs 2 full-time and 7 part-time staff. In addition, there are 20 garden volunteers who support the work of the paid staff and are a vital part of the service.
- Has an annual budget of around £160,000.
- Receives around 60% of its funds from Oxford Mental Health, NHS with the balance of 40% from donations, grants and fundraising events.
- In the first instance please send your CV and a short covering note detailing your suitability for the role, to our Treasurer, Richard Khosla-Stevens (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- You will be contacted by a member of the Board of Trustees for an informal discussion and to answer any questions you may have.
- Visit to the garden with a member of the Trustee Board and a preliminary meeting with the General Manager